Monday, December 31, 2007

Head of Christ

Head of Christ
Hylas and the Nymphs
jesus christ on the cross
klimt painting the kiss
'So!' said Rosa Dartle, with a contemptuous laugh, 'I see her at last! Why, he was a poor creature to be taken by that delicate mock-modesty, and that hanging head!' ¡¡¡¡'Oh, for Heaven's sake, spare me!' exclaimed Emily. 'Whoever you are, you know my pitiable story, and for Heaven's sake spare me, if you would be spared yourself!' ¡¡¡¡'If I would be spared!' returned the other fiercely; 'what is there in common between US, do you think!'
oil painting
¡¡¡¡'Nothing but our sex,' said Emily, with a burst of tears. ¡¡¡¡'And that,' said Rosa Dartle, 'is so strong a claim, preferred by one so infamous, that if I had any feeling in my breast but scorn and abhorrence of you, it would freeze it up. Our sex! You are an honour to our sex!' ¡¡¡¡'I have deserved this,' said Emily, 'but it's dreadful! Dear, dear lady, think what I have suffered, and how I am fallen! Oh, Martha, come back! Oh, home, home!' ¡¡¡¡Miss Dartle placed herself in a chair, within view of the door, and looked downward, as if Emily were crouching on the floor before her. Being now between me and the light, I could see her curled lip, and her cruel eyes intently fixed on one place, with a greedy triumph. ¡¡¡¡'Listen to what I say!' she said; 'and reserve your false arts for your dupes. Do you hope to move me by your tears? No more than you could charm me by your smiles, you purchased slave.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Head of Christ"