Monday, August 11, 2008

Lady Laura Teresa Alma-Tadema paintings

Lady Laura Teresa Alma-Tadema paintings
Louise Abbema paintings
Leonardo da Vinci paintings
Gathering courage, I asked Mrs. Tattava, "Where is the hali tutuve?"
She did not answer for a while. "Quite far away these days," she said at last, with a faraway look. Her gaze brightened a little as it returned to me. "Were you there?"
"No."
"It's so hard to be sure," she said. "Do you know I never say I wasn't anywhere any more, because so often it turns out that I am—or are, as I should say, shouldn't we? It was very beautiful. Oh, that was so far away! And all along it's right here now!" She looked at me with such cheer and pleasure that I could not help smiling and feeling happy, though I had not the faintest idea what she was talking about.
Indeed I had at last begun to notice that the people of "my" household, and the Hennebet in general, were very much less like me than I had assumed. It was a matter of temperament, of temper. They were temperate. They were well-tempered. They were good-tempered. It was not a virtue, an ethical triumph; they simply were good-natured people. Very different from me.

No comments: